Main content

Pablo Picasso. New Collection

From 14 Mar. 2017, the rooms housing Museo Picasso Málaga’s permanent collection are refreshed, and more visitor-friendly and informative about Pablo Picasso’s work. The new design is predominantly chronological, showing how the artist’s work stretched over a period of time. It also points out its intrinsic versatility and the cyclical nature of his artistic investigations, drawing attention to his constant vocation for exploring the expressive possibilities of any medium.

The exhibition narrative is the result of the close collaboration between Fundación Almine y Bernard Ruiz-Picasso para el Arte (FABA), which for the next three years will be contributing with a selection of 166 works from their holdings. Among the works that are being incorporated into the new layout are Restaurant (1914), an exceptional oil painting that has been cut out and stuck onto glass, and which is shown here for the very first time; The Three Graces, a large canvas that shows a more classical and monumental Picasso; and the iconic bronze, Head of a Bull (1942), made from the seat and handlebars of a bicycle. Along with the rest of the works on display, they give shape to an exhibition narrative that starts with the artist’s formative years, continues with the great stylistic and thematic moments of his career – cubism, the Mediterranean, portraiture – and ends with his reinterpretation of the great masters, all of them with that combination of talent, technique and expression that made Picasso the great artist of the 20th-century. See a selection of works >

Pablo Picasso. New Collection has also the support of Fundación Endesa, which joins the project through an agreement of collaboration and sponsorship that will allow an improvement in lighting in the galleries of Palacio de Buenavista.

 

History of the Collection

Museo Picasso Málaga was created in response to Pablo Picasso’s own desire for his work to be present in the city where he was born on 25 October 1881. The museum was created thanks to Christine and Bernard Ruiz-Picasso, the artist’s daughter-in-law and grandson, whose donations constitute the core of the Collection. It was also made possible thanks to the efforts of the Junta de Andalucía, which coordinated the major project of setting up a museum devoted to the artist whose styles and techniques changed the course of modern art.

The initial idea for the museum arose in 1953, as a result of the contact between Pablo Picasso and Juan Temboury Álvarez, who was the Provincial Delegate for Fine Arts in Malaga. However, the project fell through shortly afterwards.

Christine Ruiz-Picasso, the widow of the artist’s eldest son, Paul Ruiz-Picasso, resumed contact with Malaga in 1992, during the exhibition Picasso Clásico(Classic Picasso), and again in 1994, during the exhibition Picasso, primera mirada, (Picasso, the first glimpse). In 1996, she rekindled the 1953 project, which finally came into being 50 years later on 27 October 2003, when the museum was officially opened by Their Majesties King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofía of Spain. 

There are 233 works in the MPM Collection. This group of works covers Picasso’s revolutionary innovations, as well as the wide range of styles, materials and techniques he mastered. From his earliest academic studies, to his personal take on the Classics; from the overlapping perspectives of Cubism, to his experiments in ceramics, and from his re-workings of the Old Masters, to his late paintings in the 1970s.

 

 

 

 

See also